A waterproof watch is equipped with seals at the crystal (glass), bottom and tubes. Yet not every waterproof watch is just as waterproof as the next! Wristwatches carry a specific DIN standard (8310) for the level of waterproofing:
1. Protected for dust
2. Protected against water (water resistant) – Splashes of water
3. Waterproof up to 3at/30m – For example, a car wash etc.
4. Waterproof up to 5at/50m – Rain, swimming
5. Waterproof up to 10at/100m - Swimming
6. Waterproof up to 20at/200m – Snorkeling, diving without (scuba) gear
To dive with scuba gear one should wear a diving watch!