Vacheron Constantin Brandstory
Founded in Geneva in 1755 by Jean-Marc Vacheron, the traditional luxury watch manufacturer Vacheron Constantin has its origins in the circles of the Geneva Cabinotiers. The "Cabinotiers" worked in the light-flooded "Cabinets" just below the rooftops of the Geneva district of Saint-Gervais and refined the blanks. Down to the present day, the "Atelier Cabinotiers" have produced watches to the highest standards. Vacheron Constantin is the world's oldest watch manufactory, which has been continuously producing since then.
From the beginning, Constantin Vacheron produced high-quality custom-made pocket watches for his customers, among them mostly nobles and kings like Louis XIV, Czar Alexander II and the Czarina, the Maharajah of Patiala and the New York banker Henry Graves Jr.
However, with the French Revolution in 1789, demand collapsed and the Geneva Manufacture had a great deal of effort to keep its business alive. François Constantin joined Vacheron's descendants and opened shops in Europe and the USA under the motto "Faire mieux si possible, ce qui est toujours possible". Since then, the company has been renamed Vacheron & Constantin.
In the mid-nineteenth century the demand for the high-quality timepieces of the luxury watch manufactory was so high that Geroges Auguste Leschot, the then technical director, developed a machine that enabled serial production. The manual work was supplemented by machine production, so that the production and marketing of the products could be accelerated.
In 1880, the Maltese cross was registered at the Swiss Federal Institute of Intellectual Property in Berne, as a logo by Vacheron Constantin.